11.10.2007

New equipment synopsis


The machine operates well. There's a 2 step process for changing the spring instead of the 1 step process the other machine I've worked with used.

Fake skin is not a good thing. It seems like it would be OK to practice lining, and I can see where that would be a big hurdle for people to get over, but in my case, I need something that lets me do fill in. Even a one-off outline for testing the skin didn't turn out perfect, but it's certainly fixable with fill in.

The only problem is the skin doesn't fill in. You've got to use vaseline to lay down line with and it works OK for lining practice, but the fill in on the skin is shit. The skin has a tendency to soak up vaseline as well, and I thought that might be enough to keep the ink from dyeing the skin immediately. Didn't work. As a matter of fact, until I scrubbed the fake skin with my brush cleaner from my painting kit, it was a smeary black blob.

It is unworkable for fill in. But I can see where it would be handy to test outlines, maybe some small shading placement as long as you don't care what the finished product looks like. Tonight I fill in the painted man's leg.

No comments: