4.26.2008

So THAT'S who she is.....

This woman has fascinated me since I first saw her picture 2 years ago.


Isn't she beautiful? She is defiant towards the camera, an early 'fuck you' to the mores and morals of society and 'normal' people. I finally found out who she is, thanks to The Vanishing Tattoo and their History of Tattooing pages.

She is Mrs. M. Stevens Wagner, and the picture was taken in 1907. So who is Mrs. M. Stevens Wagner? I don't know, but I bet she's related somehow to Charles Wagner, who was partnered with Samuel O'Reilly in the late 1800's in NYC (Bowery). Charles Wagner did something else, too...

Recognize it? It's a dual coil reciprocating engraver, a prototype of today's machine.

It's amazing what you learn when you surf the 'net, isn't it? Oh... A Google through various search terms provides us this: "
Maud Wagner was the first well known woman tattoo artist in the United States. Maud was a circus aerialist and contortionist who learned to tattoo from her husband Gus. Her daughter Lovetta Wagner became a well known female artist as well despite having no tattoos herself."

Someone needs to get me this book, please. I would dearly appreciate it. I'll tattoo you for it! No... Seriously. 1-2 color piece no more than 2"x2". You provide the book and the canvas, I'll give you ink. Deal? Comment and we'll work out details.

****EDIT**** She is Maud Stevens Wagner. Wow. .... Just.... Wow.

5 comments:

asfjh said...

eyyy loving her attitude and expression.. something that needs to be understanded with the morals of her time to fully understand the rebelliuosnes.. STILL it's up to date...... oh dear. good blog post!!

Anonymous said...

tats are awesome and that book - i just rented it from the library - it is awesome
im actually doing an essay on Japanese and Western tattoos at the moment - taking forever but so worth it!

Cade said...

It is bizarre the things you can find online - and in real life - without even looking for them, isn't it? I have found things before that were connected and it feels almost like some force out here wanted me to know about it...

I really don't buy the axiom that everything is just a coincidence. Yes, sometimes shit happens but somethings are really meant to be.

8between3and5 said...

This is my great aunt, Maude Stevens Wagner. She met my great uncle, Gus Wagner, at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. I have been researching their fascinating history for many years. I have a few other pictures of Maude, Gus and their daughter Lotteva that I'd be happy to share with you if your interested.
CK Wagner

Darkneuro said...

CK: I'd *LOVE* some more information. I'm pretty much limited to the 'net for information on her, which is scarce as hen's teeth. She absolutely fascinates me. Anything you care to share, I'll take it